Please view the main text area of the page by skipping the main menu.

Boxing: JABF head Yamane to consider future after emergency meeting

Akira Yamane (Mainichi)

OSAKA (Kyodo) -- Japan Amateur Boxing Federation President Akira Yamane said Tuesday he is considering his future following an emergency meeting to address the growing controversy surrounding his leadership of the organization.

The 78-year-old president has denied several allegations against him, including pressuring referees to fix matches and misuse of grant money, but has acknowledged his relationship with a former gang leader.

He has so far resisted calls for his resignation, including from Japan Sports Agency chief Daichi Suzuki.

"It's my decision. I'll speak about my entire life as a man tomorrow," Yamane said following the JABF meeting Tuesday at a hotel in Osaka.

"Nothing has been decided. Please give us a bit more time."

"I've given 43 years to amateur boxing. I'd like to speak to my friends and family before deciding how to proceed."

JSA chief Suzuki earlier in the day said Yamane should step down over his past relationship with a former gang leader and other allegations of improper conduct.

"If it's true (that he's been friends with a powerful gang world figure), he should resign," Suzuki said.

The JABF announced Monday it will set up an independent committee to investigate the allegations.

Suzuki said that the revelations have "not only damaged boxing, but considerably tarnished the image of sports worldwide," and will look to the third-party committee's findings to quickly improve the training environment for athletes.

According to informed sources, several members of the JABF board of directors are considering resigning amid the fallout.

The allegations came to light after a privately formed, amateur boxing support group filed a complaint last month calling for the JABF to be investigated and certain people to be penalized over 12 specific issues.

In response, the Japanese Olympic Committee and the Japan Sport Association requested that the federation establish a third-party panel to investigate the allegations. The two bodies are asking for a report by Sept. 28.

In the complaint, the 333-member group, led by former JABF board member Yoshio Tsuruki, referred to a first-round bout at the 2016 National Sports Festival in Iwate Prefecture, where a local boxer lost on a split decision to a boxer from Nara Prefecture who was knocked down twice.

An active referee said Friday that Yamane, who used to head Nara's amateur boxing governing body, did not give explicit orders but created an atmosphere where referees had to give the win to a boxer from the prefecture.

Amid other allegations, Yamane is also said to have held a monopoly on the sale of boxing gloves used in official JABF competitions. The JABF-approved gloves were supplied by a front company controlled by Yamane, according to the complaint.

Also in The Mainichi

The Mainichi on social media

Trending