The Mainichi is an online news site operated by The Mainichi Newspapers. The Mainichi Newspapers owns the editorial rights, and personal information collected by The Mainichi through questionnaires, contest entries and applications for prize drawings. Letters to the editor are managed by The Mainichi Newspapers' Digital Media Division, unless otherwise specified. The information collected is stored and used under strictly supervised conditions by the Mainichi and is not provided to third parties.
The Mainichi Newspapers uses personal information within the scope described when it is collected. Such information will not be used for any other purposes or provided to third parties without the knowledge of the person concerned. However, after being processed so that personal identity cannot be ascertained, it may be used or offered as marketing data in relation to advertisers or affiliated companies.
The Mainichi Newspapers' Digital Media Division assigns officers to implement effective and appropriate security measures to protect collected personal information from unlawful access, loss, destruction, alteration, and other threats. In case of outsourcing data processing, The Mainichi Newspapers has agreements with trustworthy contractors based on the Mainichi's strict personal information protection policy.
The Mainichi Newspapers is not responsible for the personal information collected or used by linked sites or the sites of its advertisers. Please refer to the respective sites for their policies regarding the handling of personal information.
The Mainichi Newspapers' sites use some third-party cookies related to site functionality and analysis, as well as for advertising. The following is a list of third-party sources of cookies sent via The Mainichi Newspapers' sites.
- Preferences (Opt out) https://www.cxense.com/about/preferences/?optOutStatus=false
User Local, Inc.
- Data Collection via Access Analysis Tools Policy (Opt out) (Japanese) http://ui.userlocal.jp/document/notice/
- Security and privacy in Universal Analytics (Opt out) https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2838718?hl=en
- Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
- Advertising http://www.google.co.jp/intl/en/policies/technologies/ads/
- Interest-Based Ads Opt Out https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en
- Control your Google ads http://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous?hl=en&sig=ACi0TCiYTAZuyyia2EpWfDNAeDpkQKqjAWS2tDSt5kvpmGHHWqrRnwsoUVKTfSIcgWncP52ofXEz_o4U3KNbMA1ZDdjnySDhh63W81-UQVpJB96vJIEgvtk
Yahoo Japan Corp.
- About Deactivating Behavioral Targeted Advertising (Japanese) http://btoptout.yahoo.co.jp/optout/preferences.html
Aol Platforms Japan KK
- Opt Out (Japanese) http://www.scaleout.jp/optout/
- About Deactivating Behaviorally Targeted Advertising (Japanese) https://ads.gunosy.com/optout/edit?media_id=1&user_id=1
Some of The Mainichi Newspapers' websites carry so-called "Behavioral Targeted Advertising". These types of ads are one way to display products and services that may be of most interest to the website user. Based on users' browsing histories as indicated by cookies on their device, behavioral targeted advertising systems break visitors to the Mainichi sites into "clusters" created from analysis of their interests. The system then displays ads most relevant to these clusters.
The cookies accessed by the behavioral targeted advertising are used only for advertising purposes, and contains no information that could be used to identify specific site visitors.
Please click here to see a list of third-party advertisers, and links to their privacy and cookie opt-out policies. Please note that some of these websites are only in Japanese.
Using cookies and other means, The Mainichi Newspapers websites sometimes automatically collect user site access and browsing histories, among other information (hereafter referred to as "user data"). User data can include browser type, operating system, IP address location, pages viewed, time spent on each page, and other information. User data contains no information that could be used to identify specific site visitors.
Accepting cookies is the responsibility of the user, and users can refuse to accept cookies through their web browser settings, or via the opt-out pages provided by third-party companies. However, users should be aware that disabling cookies may cause some site content to fail to display properly, disable some site functionality and features, or cause the same ads to be shown to the user repeatedly.
Disabling cookies in your browser
You can set your browser preferences to block all cookies or display a warning before accepting them. To find out how to change your cookie preferences, please select "Help" from the menu bar and do a search for "cookie."
Using third-party opt-out pages
For a list of third-party cookie sources, their privacy and cookie policies, and opt-out pages, please click here.
Please note that there are some types of cookies offered through The Mainichi Newspapers' sites that cannot be disabled.