TOKYO -- A party to commemorate the upcoming 3,000th broadcast of the "Imperial Family Album" TV program was held with the attendance of Prince Akishino and his wife Princess Kiko at a hotel here on July 31.
- 【Related】Prince Akishino joins convention of people of Japanese ancestry in Hawaii
- 【Related】Prince Akishino, Princess Kiko to attend Hawaii convention honoring Nikkei people
- 【Related】Official titles converge on Prince Akishino as Imperial Family shrinks
- 【Related】Emperor Akihito to discontinue Imperial Palace ritual ceremonies after abdication
- 【Related】Prince Akishino's reluctance for 'crown prince' title reflected in panel report: sources
The 15-minute weekly program portrays recent activities of Imperial Family members, and is aired by Mainichi Broadcasting System (MBS) based in Osaka and the Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS) network, with the cooperation of Mainichi Productions. The program started in 1959, when Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko married, and will mark its 3,000th broadcast this month.
At the party venue, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko examined an exhibition of equipment used to produce the program, including old cameras and sound recorders, and graphic panels outlining the program's contents.
Following a toast led by Mainichi Newspapers Group Holdings President Yutaka Asahina, a video looking back at the program's history was shown to participants. The prince smiled as he watched footage of himself when he was a little boy.
(Japanese original by Kazuo Okubo, City News Department)