MANILA (Kyodo) -- The confirmed death toll from Typhoon Mangkhut, which passed through the northern part of the Philippines last weekend, rose to 74 on Tuesday, with damage to agriculture reaching hundreds of millions of dollars, authorities said.
According to the national police, most of the fatalities were recorded in Luzon's Cordillera mountain region with 60 deaths, followed by 10 in the province of Cagayan.
The local authorities also said 55 people are still missing in the aftermath of the typhoon, which is the strongest to have hit the Southeast Asian nation so far this year.
Mangkhut has displaced tens of thousands of people, with the number of evacuees peaking at more than 245,000.
The typhoon has also caused damage worth at least 14 billion pesos ($259 million) to agriculture, as strong winds and torrential rains ruined rice and corn crops on the island known as the country's food basket, they said.
Mangkhut hit the Philippines early Saturday, with maximum sustained winds of 205 kilometers per hour and gusts that peaked at 330 kph.