WASHINGTON (Kyodo) -- The United States remains open to talking with China to negotiate an end to the tariff war between the world's two largest economies, President Donald Trump said Tuesday, a day after announcing duties on an additional $200 billion in Chinese imports effective next Monday.
"We're making a lot of headway with China. China wants to come over and talk, and we are always open to talking," Trump told reporters at the White House. "But we have to do something."
Trump said the new tariffs -- initially set at 10 percent before rising to 25 percent on Jan. 1 -- will have a "tremendous impact" on China.
In response to the new U.S. tariffs, China on Tuesday announced levies on an additional $60 billion in American products, effective next Monday.
Referring to China's massive trade surplus with the United States and what he frequently calls unfair trade practices by Beijing, Trump accused the country of having long taken advantage of the United States.
"That's not happening anymore," he said. "We can't let that happen."
The president threatened to slap 25 percent tariffs on an additional $267 billion of imports from China if it retaliates for the latest U.S. action.
If this further step is taken, the United States would be taxing all of the goods it imports from China each year.
"We don't want to do it, but probably -- we'll have no choice," Trump said.
On China's anticipated retaliatory measures, U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Beijing is "out of bullets" to hit back "because its imports to the U.S. are nearly four times larger than the U.S. exports to China."
Speaking to U.S. business news network CNBC, Ross expressed disappointment that earlier U.S. tariffs -- $34 billion in July and $16 billion last month -- "have not resulted in constructive dialogue" to address bilateral trade disputes.
Whether the two sides will hold such dialogue is up to China, Ross suggested, saying the matter is "in their ballpark."