Please view the main text area of the page by skipping the main menu.

Osaka man faces new charge of sexually abusing 2-year-old adopted daughter

OSAKA -- A man was served a fresh arrest warrant on Feb. 6 on suspicion of sexually abusing and injuring his 2-year-old adopted daughter who died in 2017, Osaka Prefectural Police said. The 30-year-old man is categorically denying the allegation, they added.

The man had already been indicted for allegedly causing fatal injuries to the toddler at their apartment in the Higashiyodogawa Ward of the city of Osaka, but had since been released on bail.

The prefectural police suspect that the man sexually abused the girl in mid-December of 2017, causing her injuries that took one week to heal at the apartment. He also allegedly broke her left leg earlier.

Examinations by multiple doctors have found traces of sexual abuse on the victim, the police said. The girl was adopted by the man in December of the same year.

The daughter was rushed to a hospital on Dec. 16, 2017 and died about a week later. Police first arrested the adoptive father in November 2018 on suspicion of murder for allegedly attacking the girl on the head and caused her death from acute subarachnoid hemorrhage, or bleeding around the brain.

The Osaka District Public Prosecutors Office indicted the man last December and downgraded the charge from murder to inflicting bodily injury resulting in death.

(Japanese original by Takuya Murata and Haruka Ito, Osaka City News Department)

Also in The Mainichi

The Mainichi on social media

Trending