Please view the main text area of the page by skipping the main menu.

IOC chief to confirm Japan's food products are safe after 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster

International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach (Kyodo)

NEW YORK (Kyodo) -- International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach intends to assure participants of the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics that Japanese food products are safe following the Fukushima nuclear crisis in 2011, Japan's Foreign Ministry said Monday.

He conveyed his intentions to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during their meeting on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly in New York after two international organizations announced last year that the products are adequately managed, the ministry said.

A joint team of the International Atomic Energy Association and the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization said in June last year that inspections for radioactive substances and distribution management of food from Japan were adequate, according to the ministry.

Bach told Abe he would inform the participating countries of the 2020 games of this view, the ministry said.

This comes after South Korea announced last month that it would double the number of samples and frequency of inspections for radioactive substances on some processed foods and agricultural products from Japan.

The move by the South Korean government marks a tightening of measures first implemented following a meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant triggered by a powerful earthquake and tsunami in March 2011.

Also in The Mainichi

The Mainichi on social media

Trending