TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Japan dismissed on Tuesday North Korea's demand for compensation over the sinking of a fishing boat that was in collision with a Japanese patrol vessel last week.
"North Korea's announcement was totally unacceptable," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said at a press conference, as Tokyo lodged a protest against Pyongyang via their embassies in Beijing.
Asked about a plan to release video footage showing the incident, Suga said the government is still considering this.
On Saturday, North Korea accused Japan of deliberately sinking the boat and demanded compensation for the material damage caused, while urging it to take steps to prevent a recurrence.
The collision took place Monday last week, some 350 kilometers northwest of the Noto Peninsula in Ishikawa Prefecture, near the fertile squid and fishing waters of the Yamatotai area of the Sea of Japan.
All the crew, numbering as many as 60, survived and left the area on a different North Korean vessel that was nearby.