Please view the main text area of the page by skipping the main menu.

Rugby: Japan bow out of World Cup with loss to South Africa

South Africa's Faf de Klerk runs to score a try during the Rugby World Cup quarterfinal match at Tokyo Stadium between Japan and South Africa in Tokyo, Japan, on Oct. 20, 2019. (AP Photo/Mark Baker)

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Japan's glorious run at the Rugby World Cup came to an end Sunday as South Africa used their physicality to stop the hosts' running game, allowing the two-time champions to win the quarterfinal 26-3.

In front of 48,831 at Tokyo Stadium (Ajinomoto Stadium), the Brave Blossoms lived up to their name for approximately 55 minutes before they finally succumbed to the Springbok onslaught.

While Japan bow out, Rassie Erasmus and his team march on and their reward is a semifinal clash with Wales, who beat France 20-19 earlier in the day in Oita.

Referee Wayne Barnes' decision to only award a yellow card to Tendai Mtawarira for a dangerous tip tackle in the first half will no doubt be questioned for some time.

But on a night when Kenki Fukuoka and Kotaro Matsushima shone in their defensive duties, it was the work of another of the small men on the field, Faf de Klerk, that ultimately made the difference.

The South Africa scrumhalf was often responsible for the aerial bombardment that rained down on Japan. He also led their defensive effort and was named man of the match.

Following a stirring rendition of both national anthems, the teams made their intentions known as Japan looked to play at pace and improvise and South Africa used their big forward pack.

It was the latter that had an immediate impact when a good scrum allowed Makazole Mapimpi some space on the blindside and the wing made the most of a poor tackle attempt from Yu Tamura to go over in the corner with just four minutes on the clock.

Tamura did not have the best of games when the two sides last met in September and he and his team needed to settle early nerves.

Mtawarira's yellow card for his tackle on Keita Inagaki allowed them to do that and handed Japan a numerical advantage.

The Brave Blossoms looked as if they had failed to make the most of it, however, despite an electric break from Fukuoka that was only stopped by a good tackle from Damian de Allende.

But a tighthead scrum in the 19th minute eventually saw the Springbok pack penalized and Tamura banged over a penalty to make it 5-3.

Japan continued to play at pace and chance their arm and dominated possession and territory.

By the 29th minute, they had made 11 offloads to zero by the Springboks, who stayed in the game thanks to their well-organized defensive structure.

A rare error from Michael Leitch almost saw Mapimpi go over for a second but a great defensive effort from Matsushima saved the day and ensured there were still just two points between the teams as they headed to the sheds.

Japan had dominated the first 40 minutes in terms of possession and territory had forced South Africa to make almost three times as many tackles.

With the Irish fans in the crowd singing "Stand up if you are Japanese" the second half would be all about which bench would have the most impact and which side could make the most of the opportunities that came their way.

South Africa had gone with six forwards, while Japan had opted for the traditional 5:3 split with a number of powerful runners in the forwards and backs.

Three penalties from Handre Pollard saw South Africa stretch their lead as the Springbok forwards started to exert their power.

With 17 minutes left on the clock and down by 11, Japan could not afford to give up another score.

The Springbok stranglehold on the game continued though as their forwards' driving maul made meters and meters and tired the Japan defenders.

And from the back of one such maul in the 66th minute, de Klerk went over for a well-deserved try.

Mapimpi added a second from long range four minutes later before the Springbok defense once again closed up shop to stop Japan finishing their amazing run on a high.

Also in The Mainichi

The Mainichi on social media