OSAKA -- The Osaka District Court on Dec. 24 issued a provisional disposition order to forbid a man who threatened to use hate speech against "Zainichi" Koreans in this western Japan city from carrying out his plan.
Two local nonprofit organizations involved in defending the human rights of foreign residents applied for the provisional disposition. The order includes a ban against distributing handouts to insult Korean residents within a 600-meter radius of their respective offices.
According to the petition, the man, a former leading member of "Zainichi Tokken o Yurusanai Shimin no Kai (Association of citizens against special privileges of Korean residents in Japan)," announced online that he would use hate speech, which he called a "security patrol," around JR Tsuruhashi Station and Korea town in Osaka's Ikuno Ward on Dec. 29.
The local court previously issued another provisional injunction to forbid him from carrying out demonstrations using hate speech with a loudspeaker and other devices. However, he distributed flyers targeting Zainichi residents at the end of 2018, according to the citizens' groups.
Kwak Chin Ung, the chief director of the Korea NGO Center, hailed the decision and said, "I hope this will be a big step to eliminate hate speech." Song Chong Chi, head director of "Pada," the other nonprofit organization, said, "I felt relieved that our request was approved. I hope our society will become a place where foreign residents can live peacefully."
(Japanese original by Fumie Togami, Osaka City News Department)