TOKYO -- Japan has denied five people entry into the country as a precaution against the spread of the new coronavirus, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said at a Feb. 3 news conference.
The government took the measures under Article 5 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, Suga said. However, he did not disclose the five individuals' nationality or other details.
Since Feb. 1, Tokyo has in principle refused to allow entry of those who had been in Hubei within 14 days of when they applied for entry into Japan as well as foreign nationals holding Chinese passports issued in Hubei province. The policy is implemented regardless of whether the applicants have symptoms of the virus.
When asked whether the government will expand the scope of the entry ban, the chief Cabinet secretary told the news conference, "We'll make judgments while considering various circumstances."