Please view the main text area of the page by skipping the main menu.

No spectators at opening ceremony of Tokyo Olympic torch relay

An Olympic rings monument is seen in Tokyo's Odaiba waterfront area on Jan. 18, 2021. (Mainichi/Naotsune Umemura)

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- The Tokyo Games organizing committee said Monday the Olympic torch relay's opening ceremony on March 25 will be held without spectators in the northeastern Fukushima Prefecture to help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.

    The ceremony at the J-Village soccer training center, which was a frontline base to manage the nuclear crisis triggered by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami, will only be attended by the event's participants and invitees to avoid large crowds forming.

    The number of those attending from Tokyo, under the extended state of emergency over the virus through March 21, will also be reduced, the organizers said.

    Members of the Nadeshiko Japan soccer team, who won the Women's World Cup in 2011 in Germany soon after the disaster, will be the first runners, as was planned last year before the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics were postponed to this summer.

    Fukushima's local culture and art will be on display during a show to be staged preceding the ceremony.

    Flowers decorating the venue will be those produced in the area affected by the disaster, while around 100 children from the town of Naraha, south of the devastated Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant where the J-Village is located, are to cheer on the first runner.

    Also in The Mainichi

    The Mainichi on social media

    Trending