TOKYO -- Seven people were taken to the hospital after nitric acid apparently spilled at a factory in the western Tokyo city of Ome on the morning of June 21, according to police and other sources.
At around 9:20 a.m. on June 21, a person at a factory manufacturing screws and other items called emergency services saying, "A chemical has been spilled." Seven workers who complained of feeling unwell and other symptoms were rushed to the hospital, according to Ome Police Station and other sources. At least one worker sustained burns to their arms after coming into contact with the chemical, and all of the seven people apparently suffered minor injuries.
The chemical is believed to be nitric acid. It was reported that the bottom of a bucket holding the acid fell out when workers were carrying the container.
Ome Police Station is investigating the details behind the incident.
(Japanese original by Takuya Suzuki, Tokyo City News Department)