TOKYO (Kyodo) -- The organizing committee of the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics said Tuesday it will likely be discussing with the metropolitan and central governments through the end of the year on how to share the expected deficit incurred from the games this summer due to COVID-19 restrictions.
The organizers have lost hundreds of millions of dollars through ticket sales after the games were largely held without spectators to avoid the spread of the virus.
In the event that the organizing committee falls into the red, the Tokyo government in principle will cover the deficit, with the central government stepping in to help out if that is not sufficient.
"We need to achieve accountability through close examination," Seiko Hashimoto, organizing committee president, said at the outset of the organizing body's first board meeting since the end of the games. The Olympics ended in August and the Paralympics closed earlier this month.
The organizers also reported that the number of overseas stakeholders who entered Japan for the Olympics was around 33,000 and 10,000 for the Paralympics.
Hashimoto said the virus countermeasures implemented during the sporting event "functioned well" in hosting a safe and secure games.
"With (the Olympics) being the first global event to be held under the novel coronavirus pandemic, we were able to present a model that showed us fighting the virus while carrying on with our social activities," she said.