Under this Policy, "user information" refers to the information gathered by the Company that can identify individual users, the activity history of the user in communication services, and related information generated or accumulated on the user's device.
In addition, even in the case that a user does not have a registered Mainichi ID, in using services provided by the Company, user information will also be handled in accordance with this policy to the degree necessary to use those services.
The personal information the Company gathers from users is necessary in order to provide the Company's Services. There is a chance that the Services may not be available to those users who do not provide this information to the Company.
About The Mainichi Newspapers Co.'s handing of Personal Information:
1. Purposes of Use
The Company will collect user information using appropriate methods, and will use it for the following purposes (hereinafter the "Purposes of Use"). If the Company plans to utilize user information for purposes extending beyond the Purposes of Use listed below, then the user will be contacted ahead of time, and the Company will need to receive consent.
User information will be collected for the following purposes:
- (1) To provide the Services to the user and verify the identity of the user when providing the Services.
- (2) To check the registration information for a given Mainichi ID or make changes to that information, and confirm the status of utilization of the Services.
- (3) To confirm applications for the email delivery service and to send each type of email notice.
- (4) To confirm paid service contracts and provide those services.
- (5) To process charges, payments for and delivery of paid services and products, etc., and make relevant confirmations.
- (6) To send gifts and other items related to prize competitions, etc., that the user has entered.
- (7) To send rewards for participating in questionnaires conducted by the Company.
- (8) To confirm the user's application to participate in events such as seminars and send entry tickets to them.
- (9) To provide follow-through services.
- (10) To deal with users who have violated the rules concerning the Services.
- (11) To respond to inquiries and send documents, etc., or for the Company to make inquiries to the user.
- (12) To improve products and the Services and to develop new services and products.
- (13) To analyze user information and service utilization status in order to provide content, advertisements, and other information from the Company or third parties that would be of the most use to the user, and to select users to fill out analytic questionnaires.
- (14) To send information about products, events, and other services offered by the Company.
2. Collected User Information and Collection Methods
Below is the user information, including personal information, collected by the Company through the use of the Services together with the methods used to gather this information. Some of the information listed below may not fall into the category of personal information.
(1) Information collected from users when using the Services
When registering a Mainichi ID, users may be asked to provide the following information:
• Email address
• Birth date
• Telephone number
• Payment method
(2) Information received from external services when using the Services
When a user utilizes the Services and consents to cooperate with external services provided by third-party operators, the Company may receive the following information from the outside services:
• The user ID utilized by the user on that outside service.
• Information that the user has authorized the cooperating service to disclose through the privacy settings of that service.
(3) Information concerning inquiries
When a user makes an inquiry to the Company about the Services, in order to investigate the inquiry, answer questions, and verify the identity of the user, the following information may be collected:
• Telephone number
• Email address
• Home address
• Name of device used
• Operating software information
• Other information that is deemed necessary by the Company
(4) Information collected by the Company during the use of the Services by the user
The Company collects information concerning the status of access to the Services and how the Services are used. This information includes the following:
• Usage status for services and purchase history of products, etc.
• Participation status for prizes, events, seminars, questionnaires, etc.
• Device information
• Log information
• Cookies and anonymous IDs
• Location data
Records of transaction or information concerning payments made between the user and the Company or its business partners may also be collected from business partners.
3. Shared Use
Personal information acquired by the Company may be shared with The Mainichi Newspapers group companies and the sellers of the Mainichi Shimbun. Shared data includes the following information:
(1) Personal information:
• Birth date
• Telephone number
• Email address
• Subscription and usage history
• Other information provided by the user themselves
(2) Scope of users of shared information:
• Group companies: The Mainichi Newspapers Co., Sports Nippon Newspapers Co., Mainichi Shimbun Publishing Inc., Mainichi Educational Institute Co., Mainichi Hanbai Kyoei Co., Mainichi Newspapers Osaka Development Co., Daimaikyoei Co., Mainichi Media Service, Mainichi Shimbun Nagoya Kaihatsu Co.
• Sellers of the Mainichi Shimbun
4. Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
The Company does not provide the user's personal information to third parties without prior consent from the user, excluding shared use, subcontracting of services, and other situations based on the law. Furthermore, when personal information is provided to subcontracted companies or other parties, a separate nondisclosure agreement or other necessary contracts will be concluded to properly protect and manage personal information.
5. Anonymized Information
In accordance with the law, the Company creates anonymized information (information concerning individuals that is processed to remove personally identifiable information so that it cannot be traced back to the owner of that information) and this anonymized information may be provided to third parties in order to improve content, advertisements, and other items. The following are items pertaining to this anonymized information.
(1) Data included in anonymized information:
• Address (up to the city, ward, town, or village)
• Age (Birth date)
• Usage history
• Other information gathered from users with their permission, such as family structure and household income.
(2) Provision methods
• Through recording media
• By email
• Through other methods with prior security guarantees
6. Management of Personal Information and Safety Measures
The Company takes appropriate measures to ensure user personal information is accurate. The Company also has in place measures to prevent unauthorized access to user personal information, and to prevent alterations to that information from external sources, as well as necessary and appropriate measures to prevent leaks, loss or damage of personal information, and to ensure the safe management of other personal information, and continually strives to make improvements in relation to its personal information management system.
7. Disclosure, Correction, Halt of Use, etc. of Personal Information
The Company does its best to manage users' personal information accurately and in an up-to-date manner. Upon receiving a request from an individual user to disclose, correct, stop using, or take other actions with regard to the user's personal information, to the extent that the Company can confirm that the individual is the owner of that information, the Company will respond within a reasonable time period and to a reasonable extent.
The Mainichi Newspapers Co. Personal Information Officer
1-1-1 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan
The Company is not involved in the management of users' Mainichi IDs. If Mainichi ID registration information is used by a third party due to negligence by the user, it is possible that the registered personal information may be viewed. Thus, when utilizing the Services, while taking full responsibility for use and management, users are asked to pay due attention to the misuse of the Services, or the fraudulent use of information by a third party, etc.
This English language translation has been prepared solely for users’ convenience. In case of any discrepancies between the Japanese and the English versions, the Japanese version shall prevail.
Taking all possible measures to protect personal information in the future, the policy above may be revised appropriately to reflect trends in future business practices. In the event that this policy is revised, the Company will provide an easy-to-understand explanation of the important changes.
Implemented December 1, 2013
Revised May 22, 2017
Revised March 28, 2018
Last updated May 25, 2018
The Mainichi Newspapers Co.